Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Training for Chippewa

Ok, what's my identity here? It started as an Ironman training blog, then an ultra running blog, then an I Love Jesus blog... now I think it's time to blend all these things that are or were important to me and start blogging again!

It's just been such a weird year, 2010...  death in the family, the settlement of bills, the reorganization of all the household "stuff", knowing what stuff to throw out, and what to keep - both tangible and intangible. So much just had to GO. It was a shocking, freeing, revealing year. And here's what I ended up with:

- A man who loves me so much more than I ever thought I could be loved.
- Kids who love me - still - even though they are 10 and 12 and I hear that this is the stage where they start to pull away, but I have really lucked out - they still think (and tell us) that they are the luckiest kids in the world cause they have us for parents. I am so thankful I get to be their mom and I tell them everyday!
- An extended family who loves us - including cousins, aunts, sisters-in-law, and Grandparents who go overboard making sure my kids feel treasured.
- We are so blessed.

Deep breath. Now that I have all those comforts, I can get back to training. So here is what is planned:

Guy and I are registered for several races in 2011 - starting with Chippewa 50K in April, Superior 50 mile in May, and Grandma's marathon in June. We took some time off and had to work our way back up the milage charts, but I am up to 11 and Guy is up to 13. I can leisurely work my way up to race day in April...

...But in a couple of weeks Guy has to be back up to 50K cause he and a couple of trail runner buddies are doing a crazy road trip race-weekend in Oklahoma that is a 50K on Saturday followed by a road marathon on Sunday. Now that is jumping back in the saddle. Glad I am staying home watching kids!

I've been treadmilling most of my runs as we have had a lot of snow, like pretty much everyone else in the USA. I can't wait to get back outside - and back on TRAILS. Chae, who is doing Chippewa with us, has been keeping her miles up, too, and we'll all be ready come April.

Gonna feel good to actually pin on a real race bib again.

6 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Wow..both ultra runners..sweet! I love how you always look at the positive side...God does that for us right?

momo said...

glad you're back and even more glad that you're happy, jenny. xoxo!

btw - mine are now 16 and 14 and they haven't pulled away yet. its all in how you raise them. little j still gives me hugs in front of his friends, and that is HUGE.

brendaj said...

Sounds like a great start to the new year. I can't wait to sign up for another trail run sometime!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Thanks Shelly, Momo and Brenda - I hope we can have another Old Blogger Reunion event out on the trails someday...

Unknown said...

Glad to see you back!

My kids are now 17 and 19. My daughter has pulled back (mostly I think to find herself) but when times are difficult for her (which happens a lot in HS) she comes back to Momma for advice and I cherish that! My son is away at college, but he still calls and even asks permission/advice on things that sometimes surprise me. Enjoy your kids where they are now.

anyway, seems like a lot has changed for you. wow. glad you are happy. that's MOST important.

Matthew Patten said...

Chippewa is a great course. Sounds like Jeff has done a great job with it.

People underestimate its difficulty, just be patient. Wynn called the hills "silent killers". I suggest getting some decent hill training in.

Great move from the Ironman stuff to single track.

You have been baptized and now see the light...

I know a lot of Ironmen/women who are interested in or want to be trail/ultra runners. Very few, if any, of the ultra gang want to be Ironmen.

What the heck was Guy doing this weekend?