Saturday, December 09, 2006

Temperatures soar today!

Right now it is 41 degrees is sunny Minnesota. I love living here... seems like forever ago I was whining about the cold - it's great here. Today.
This morning I ran with SCS Multisport's "group run". I usually run with Lifetime Fitness' Running Club, but my x/c ski coach is one of the owners of SCS, so I came out to give it a try. We ran on Eden Prairie's hilly trails and park-paths mostly, but got lost and tried to take a shortcut which was actually a deer trail that soon disappeared. So we were bushwhacking and crossing frozen streams, getting covered with burrs from unknown weed-y plants. .. but it was fun - just like exploring the woods as a little kid.
We ended up running for 93 minutes and averaged 9:24's. A little fast for me - I like my comfort zone and I know it as soon as I leave it, but didn't want to get left behind in the woods. I suppose it's actually good for me to leave my comfort zone occasionally. Do many of you pick a comfortable pace and just stay there? Is anything wrong with that?
Now it's off to two kids-invited parties, then a real grown-up party in Excelsior. Trimama and T-boy -- are you going to Steve-n-Helen's tonight? If so I will see you there.... ;-)

7 comments:

brendaj said...

Our bike ride got rained out here today...sounds like MN would be a better place to be!
9:20-9:30 was my long distance training pace last year, but now I'm a lot slower and a lot less trained. :)

DV said...

i find that i get bored quickly if i do anything the same too frequently - the same pace, the same run, the same ride, etc... I need variety!

tri-mama said...

Oh, Saturday was fun- always good to hang out with you and the gang :-)

afton said...

I grew up in Wisconsin and I envy those runs...the woods were the best. I love hearing about the weather back there. As far as your comfort level goes, I think we all feel that way at sometime or another. I think that is why our trainers encourage us to train with others. Although me personally, like to train by myself! I need to force myself to run and bike with our clubs. Sounds like you had a great day though.

marz_racer said...

Nothing wrong with using your comfort zones. But it is good for you to go above them just to know what it feels like and break up any monotony and it helps to keep your training feeling fresh.

Fe-lady said...

You northerners are so hardy! I am such a wimp when it comes to cold anymore...jealous that you get to run with a group and having the pace pushed. It's been too long for me-and NO ONE wants to run at 5:30 in the A.M. At least not in my immediate neighborhood...

Would love to hear more about your house. I designed an addition and want my non-functional kitchen remodeled (have a plan)- but lately we are thinking about just moving into a semi-cookie-cutter home here...

momo said...

its a heat wave in mn! :-)

when i run by myself, i don't push as hard as when i run with others, so i try to run at least once per week with a group i know is faster than i am. i find it helps me keep motivated, and i see improvement in my overall fitness - and my outlook on my ability!

sounds like a great run, jenny!

your weekend sounds like ours have been, holiday parties galore.